This site is presented by C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply and Cigar Box Nation. This is the central landing page and clearinghouse for all things CBG – from the most recent news and events, to an ever-growing knowledgebase of how-to information, to builder profiles, featured instruments and more!
Here are some handy links to help you find what you need on this site:
- The Cigar Box Guitar Manifesto – the mission statement and rallying cry of the Cigar Box Guitar movement, as written by C. B. Gitty.
- How to Build Cigar Box Guitars – An ever-growing collection of articles specifically on how to build cigar box guitars.
- How to Play Cigar Box Guitars – Articles and Videos related to making music with cigar box guitars.
- CigarBoxNation.com – Home of the Cigar Box Guitar movement on the internet, with over 12,500 members from around the world. The perfect place to talk to other builders, get advice and tips, ask specific how-to questions, view and upload pictures and videos, and generally have fun.
- Cigar Box Guitar Kits – If you are looking for an easy way to build your first cigar box guitar, consider one of C. B. Gitty’s kits! Gitty’s new “Pure and Simple” Cigar Box Guitar kit is the easiest-to-build kit available anywhere, and the perfect way to get started on this amazing hobby!
- Cigar Box Guitar Parts, Gear and Accessories – C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply is the largest supplier of kits, parts, gear and accessories to the cigar box guitar and homemade music movement. Check out their web store and get ready to start building!
We’ve just added the next part of our running series of articles on 3-string CBG tunings to our knowledgebase. This one covers the “Open A” AEA, a very nice tuning option that tends to be underutilized. Check out the article here:
C. B. Gitty has just posted an in-depth video showing you how to build a cigar box amp using their “Oliva G” amplifier kit (product# 52-003-02). From drilling and cutting the cigar box, to wiring the components and finishing assembly, this video has it all. While the video is specific to Gitty’s pre-packaged amplifier kit, you can use this same information for your own amplifier projects as well.
This video is a detailed, step-by-step walkthrough that shows you every step of the process. If you have been thinking about trying to build a cigar box amplifier, but haven’t been sure you could, this video is for you!
Be sure to check out the latest how-to video from Glenn Watt, in which he shows you how to install fret position markers in your cigar box guitar fretboard using wooden dowels and simple tools. Here is the link to the knowledgebase entry:
C. B. Gitty just posted his top secret cheat sheet in the knowledgebase here on CigarBoxGuitar.com! This article shows you the exact string gauges to use for pretty much any tuning you could want on a 25″ scale cigar box guitar. This simple chart demystifies choosing the right size strings to hit any note from double low B all the way up to high A.
There is no longer any reason to be afraid of trying custom funky tunings on your cigar box guitars! No more guesswork, broken strings or frustration. Just decide on a tuning you want to try, refer to the chart, and grab your strings. If only everything were this easy!
C. B. Gitty has just published the third installment in his series of 3-string cigar box guitar tuning how-to articles. This one covers the Open E “EBE” tuning, which is great for the blues! This tuning was used by Shane Speal on his recently released album Holler!, on the tracks Big Leg Woman/Swing the Hammer, specifically because this tuning gives you that raw, growly blues sound.
The article gives you the exact pitches and string sizes to achieve this tuning on a cigar box guitar in the range of 24-25″ scale length, and also includes sound clips of Gitty playing each tuning on a cigar box guitar, so you can get a feel for what the sound like.
This is the classic Beatles song, beautifully rendered by Shane Speal on his stage-beaten and time-worn Macanudo 3-string cigar box guitar. Shane really captures the dark and subtle depth of this simple yet nuanced tune.
C. B. Gitty customer Tim Ells recently sent us these pictures of his daughter and himself building a cigar box guitar using Gitty’s Pure & Simple Cigar Box Guitar Kit. This is what it’s all about, and exactly what Gitty had in mind when designing the kit!
If you have been wanting to try a magnetic pickup in your a cigar box guitar, but weren’t sure where to start, check out this new video from Glenn Watt. Glenn walks you through the installation of C. B. Gitty’s “Florentine Screamer” pre-wired magnetic pickup harness from start to finish, giving you all of the know-how you need to dive into your next build.
The humble Cigar Box Guitar recently got a mention in Rolling Stone, at least the online edition. In listing the 20 most iconic guitars, Bo Diddley’s rectangular electric guitar came up and they mentioned how he used to build his own cigar box guitars, and even gave one to Dick Clark once. Check out the Rolling Stone page here.
We’ve covered the popular Open G “GDG” and the Open D “DAD” tunings so far here on CigarBoxGuitar.com – so what would you like to see next? We are looking to finish off the popular 3-string tunings before moving on to anything more advanced. The remaining “standard” open chord 3-string sets are certainly options: EBE, AEA, CEC, FCF… then of course there is a range of “full chord” 3-string tunings, that include all 3 tri-tones in a chord: GBD, DF#A, EG#B, etc.
Let us know what you’d like to see and we’ll try to make it happen!